27 August 2012

Daddy, part 2

Well, dad went into the hospital again over the weekend. I feel like the end is closer than I want to believe. My feelings have kind of been confirmed, but I will know more tomorrow morning when I meet with one of his doctor’s. His survival rate is less than 6 months at this point. All I can do is pray for a miracle and I do believe HE performs them all the time. The doctor’s are suggesting we get hospice involved now rather than wait until we absolutely need them involved. This will better prepare us for the end, which is inevitable. We have known for more than a year that he is terminal. Somehow, hearing an actual prognosis gives it more meaning. This whole time we have been going along in the treatment process unaware of just how bad it was getting.

colon cancer ribbon2

I am not sure if this is because we weren’t given all of the information or if it wasn’t sinking in. Either way, I am not too happy with the treatment he has been getting and haven’t been for a while now. I am glad that we are getting, what seems to be, better information now.

God give us the strength to carry on and allow for our hearts and minds to be at peace with Your decision for daddy.

07 August 2012


Those of you who read this blog, or my cross-stitch blog, know that my dad is battling colon cancer. He’s had his ups and downs over the past few months. His CT and PET scans recently showed significant growth in his liver. Other than that, the cancer cells have appeared to stop growing at least. There is a problem with his liver because of the cancer right now which sucks. He was supposed to start treatment plan #4 this week, but that is put on hold for now. He sees another specialist tomorrow to see what can be done about an apparent blockage. Hopefully the doctor can place a stent and we can move forward.


Dad in Michigan, July 2012

Normally, I don’t ask for this, but I am asking for your prayers. The oncologist hasn’t really given a prognosis other than the “no cure” statement we already knew about. However, dad asked her today what his survival rate might be. She said worst case is 6 mos. to 1 year; best case is 3 years. A lot is up to God. Some of it is up to dad and how long he wants to continue treatment (we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it). For now, he is in good spirits and going forward as long as possible.

Now for the PSA: if you have a history of colon cancer in your family or are age 40 or older, please go and get checked. The sooner this kind of cancer is caught and dealt with, the better your chances are of surviving!